Die geheimen Tagebücher von einer verderbten Existenz
Welcome Dear Wanderer, make yourself at home.
The road is long and tortuous and I hope you enjoy yourself.
Friday, 28 November 2008
2. “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” - St. Augustine
3. “There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.” - Robert Louis Stevenson
4. “The use of traveling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are.” - Samuel Johnson
5. “All the pathos and irony of leaving one’s youth behind is thus implicit in every joyous moment of travel: one knows that the first joy can never be recovered, and the wise traveler learns not to repeat successes but tries new places all the time.” - Paul Fussell
6. “Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.” - Jack Kerouac
7. “He who does not travel does not know the value of men.” - Moorish proverb
8. “People travel to faraway places to watch, in fascination, the kind of people they ignore at home.” - Dagobert D. Runes
9. “A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.” - John Steinbeck
10. “No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.” - Lin Yutang
11. “Your true traveler finds boredom rather agreeable than painful. It is the symbol of his liberty-his excessive freedom. He accepts his boredom, when it comes, not merely philosophically, but almost with pleasure.” - Aldous Huxley
12. “All travel has its advantages. If the passenger visits better countries, he may learn to improve his own. And if fortune carries him to worse, he may learn to enjoy it.” - Samuel Johnson
13. “For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” - Robert Louis Stevenson
“One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” - Henry Miller
14. “Traveling is a brutality. It forces you to trust strangers and to lose sight of all that familiar comfort of home and friends. You are constantly off balance. Nothing is yours except the essential things - air, sleep, dreams, the sea, the sky - all things tending towards the eternal or what we imagine of it.” - Cesare Pavese
15. “One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” - Henry Miller
16″A traveler without observation is a bird without wings.” - Moslih Eddin Saadi
17. “When we get out of the glass bottle of our ego and when we escape like the squirrels in the cage of our personality and get into the forest again, we shall shiver with cold and fright. But things will happen to us so that we don’t know ourselves. Cool, unlying life will rush in.” - D. H. Lawrence
18. “To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.” - Freya Stark
19. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain
20. “Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.” - Miriam Beard
21. “All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.” - Martin Buber
22. “We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” - Jawaharial Nehru
23. “Tourists don’t know where they’ve been, travelers don’t know where they’re going.” - Paul Theroux
24. “To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.” - Bill Bryson
25. “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
26. “Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by.” - Robert Frost
27. “A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” - Lao Tzu
28. “There is no moment of delight in any pilgrimage like the beginning of it.” - Charles Dudley Warner
29. “A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.” - Lao Tzu
30. “If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.” - James Michener
31. “The journey not the arrival matters.” - T. S. Eliot
32. “A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles.” - Tim Cahill
33. “I have found out that there ain’t no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them.” - Mark Twain
34. “Once you have traveled, the voyage never ends, but is played out over and over again in the quiestest chambers. The mind can never break off from the journey.” - Pat Conroy
“A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” - Lao Tzu
35. “Not all those who wander are lost.” - J. R. R. Tolkien
36. “Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen.” - Benjamin Disraeli
37. “Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” - Maya Angelou
38. “Too often travel, instead of broadening the mind, merely lengthens the conversation.” - Elizabeth Drew
39. “Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe”……Anatole France
40. “Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.” - Seneca
41. “What you’ve done becomes the judge of what you’re going to do - especially in other people’s minds. When you’re traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don’t have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.” - William Least Heat Moon
42. “I soon realized that no journey carries one far unless, as it extends into the world around us, it goes an equal distance into the world within.” - Lillian Smith
43. “To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.” - Aldous Huxley
44. “Travel does what good novelists also do to the life of everyday, placing it like a picture in a frame or a gem in its setting, so that the intrinsic qualities are made more clear. Travel does this with the very stuff that everyday life is made of, giving to it the sharp contour and meaning of art.” - Freya Stark
45. “The first condition of understanding a foreign country is to smell it.” - Rudyard Kipling
46. “Travel is glamorous only in retrospect.” - Paul Theroux
47. “The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” - G. K. Chesterton
48. “When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable.” - Clifton Fadiman
49. “A wise traveler never despises his own country.” - Carlo Goldoni
50. “Adventure is a path. Real adventure - self-determined, self-motivated, often risky - forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind - and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” - Mark Jenkins
Thursday, 20 November 2008
Kas Product -? (V)
the Royal Family and the Poor - Dark and Light (S)
Shockheaded Peter - Miserable (V)
Factrix - Theme For Now (S)
Suicide - Misery Train (V)
PTV - Interzone (S)
Coitus Interruptus - (?) (V)
Diaframma - Disagio (S)
~ H. R. T. on stage ~
Cranes - Sun and Sky (V)
Lydia Lunch / Clint Ruin - Clinch (S)
HTRK - Look what's has been done (V)
~ Abstinence and Sensibility on stage~
Asylum Party - Julia (S)
Minimal Compact - Next one (is real) (V)
Spleen and the Flesh Machine - Masochism(S)
Souxsie - Hall of Mirrors (V)
~ Wrapped in Plastic on stage ~
Suede - She (S)
Les Georges Leningrad - FIFF (V)
Glaxo Babies - Avoiding the Issue (S)
Shleimerk - Hope Deep Inside (V)
~ SPC-ECO on stage~
Stromble Fix - Icicles (S)
My Bloody Valentine - ?(V)
Chapter House - She is a Vision (S)
Portishead - Train Machine (V)
Jesus and Mary Chain - You Trip Me Up (S)
Smiths - Bigmouth Strikes again (V)
Wire -The 15th (S)
The Cure - ? (V)
Sonic Youth - My Friend Goo (S)
Section XXV - Death Disco (V)
Pixies - Debaser (S)
Joy Division - 24 hours (V)
Malaria! - You You (S)
PICTURE TO COME SOON ON www.myspace.com/blackrainbowradio
Wednesday, 19 November 2008
SPC ECO + WRAPPED IN PLASTIC + Abstinence and Sensibility + HRT = LIVE!
As you know, SPC ECO is none other than Dean, Deb and Monti from indie / shoegaze / bigbeat legends Curve, with the delovely Rose Garcia on vocals. They do a damned fine line in down-tempo psychedelic electro shoegaze and they've still got THAT bass / guitar noise sound...
WRAPPED IN PLASTIC features the gorgeous voice of Beth Rettig (The Mekano Set), and the filthy, from-the-ankle guitar squall of Deb Smith (Curve, SPC ECO, Echobelly, The Nuns). A very, very delicious noise.
Abstinence & Sensibility (experimental musicologist Jo Staples and Milk from The Mekano Set) will play a set of Satie / Twin Peaksian bad-dream pop with piano, accordion and baritone guitar.
Those 'mysterious men in masks' HRT will getting the ball rolling with their usual cinematic / ritualistic shenanigans.
Plus delightful DJ's Ex Creta Fluxorum and Poison Creeper will play an exotic mix of tunes to merge it all together under the disguise of Black Rainbow
Expect anything from Coil to Jesus and Mary Chain, Lydia Lunch and Neu! from the more to the less known bands and songs.
A gently drifting from Experimental sounds of early the Electronica to Shogaze :D
TRAIN OF THOUGHT NIGHT @ The Good Ship, 289 Kilburn High Rd, London, NW6 7JR 020 73722544 www. myspace. com/thegoodship 8pm until 2 am. £4.
We hope to do a night with the same line-up in Brighton too as soon as the venue is sorted.
Meanwhile, you can check out the TRAIN OF THOUGHT PODCAST
(featuring some exclusive tracks from the likes of CARTHAGE, WRAPPED IN PLASTIC, THE FLESH MACHINE, amusing asides by some bloke called Milk, and a theme-tune by some band called THE MEKANO SET?)
Wednesday, 12 November 2008
BUAV's Chief Executive, Michelle Thew, was on BBC2's Newsnight last night to discuss animal testing in light of the opening of the Oxford animal laboratory.
You can watch the programme online via the BBC's iplayer. Just click on this link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00fh6xb/Newsnight_11112008/
You can skip through to Michelle's appearance which is about 25 minutes into the programme.
Thank you for your support,
Monday, 10 November 2008
Black Rainbow's december calendar has started to be filled in, we still needs dates tho :)
get in touch if you want your club to be featured!
We are back from Brussels, thanks to everyone we met, it was a memorable weekend.
next public apparition (and the first one after a year of silence) it will be on the 19th of november @the Good Ship in kilburn, 4quid entrance with live performance by
SPC-ECO (Dean Garcia's new project)
Wrapped in Plastic
Abstinence and Sensibility
the whole mixed up by our tunes in-between bands. Expect sounds like
Clock DVA, COIL, PTV, lydia lunch, Broken Robots, Moose, Chapterhouse, Dive, Jesus and Mary Chain, Cocteau Twins, Carcrash International and many more...
We really look forward to see you there, it will be the date that will mark our comeback behind the deks and it will be a special night for all you that will decide to share this magick moment with all of us!
Sara & Vale